© Padstow Museum 2014 Design by Solutions Padstow Powered by Serif
MUSEUM and ARCHIVES
Tele: 01841532752 E-mail:- Contact for general enquires
Topical pictures as they relate to the Memorial Hall previously the Fisherman’s Mission.
The first one is of I think a Coronation Tea Party and was taken by John Pearson. The second is taken from an old postcard and shows the workshop and sail loft that existed on the site before 1937 when the Mission Hall was built. The last one in this group shows a war time event outside the Mission. See if you can spot Rosina Pink and her mother.
The RNMDSF pulled out in the late 1940’s with the decline in fishing activity and the building was purchased by a committee that had been raising funds to build a Memorial Hall. Many in the town thought this was not a good idea as no one seemed to want to use it. After a few years remaining empty a situation arose when the local Catholic Priest Father Wyatt formed a successful Youth Club running in the Legion Hut. They moved across in the late 50’s. After Seamanship Classes had proved popular Frank Sluman and others set up the Sea Cadets who took over the building in 1960.
The Padstow Echo of May 1983 announced that the Memorial Hall would in future be available for hire by community groups and that Age Concern would be running a pop in centre on three days a week from 10 oclock to 1 pm. The Sea Cadets had decided to build their own building on land leased from the Town Council. Fundraising began with a legacy from a Miss Bridge.
A new committee was formed in 1991 headed by Mervyn Stewart and Malcolm McCarthy. They have run the hall letting out principally to Art Groups and a regular commercial Flea Market. With Mervyn’s move out of Padstow a meeting was held on Monday 21st Jan to form a new committee to take on the running of the Hall. A new era has begun. There were many at the meeting anxious to see this valuable community asset taken care of. We wish them well.
This hall was during WWII used as a recovery point when the destroyer HMS Warwick was sunk off Trevose Head
Scripted by John Buckingham
Photos from Padstow Museum Collection
Padstow Memorial Hall
1953 Queen’s Coronation Tea Party
View of old sail loft on site of the Mission Hall circa 1920
Local people outside Mission Hall possibly WWII event ? VE Day note flags and bunting and military officers
Memorial Hall South Quay Padstow originally The Royal Mission to Deep Sea Fishermen
We welcome any comment on any of our site pages you may do so by going to our